Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pioneers and Mansions and Teeth! Oh my!

How are pioneers and fancy mansions and teeth connected you ask? Well, in many ways I'm sure (if you think hard enough...). But for the purposes of this blog post, they are all things that I have experienced in the last few weeks.

Being home has been fun. I'm only here for a few weeks and so I haven't really hit the "i'm so bored I'm dying to go back to school" part of being home for the summer. Plus, with the reunion coming up, I don't think I ever will get to that point. Even with work, it feels like I'm on a vacation from my normal life where I have to go to school, work, and pretend to be social.

First of all, Pioneers.

I'm sure you've heard all about trek from mom and dad, but I went up Saturday to where they ended the trek. They had a stake activity up there after with food and swimming, etc. It was fun. Jamie and Michelle were leaders for a group of 12 and 13 year olds and were showing me their pioneer accessories. Tyson was a cute little pioneer....aka cowboy.


Mansions.

Jamie and Michelle took me to see the mansions in Newport, RI. They are beautiful!! I loved it! And so with no further ado, I would like to introduce you to my new homes:

This one is called Breakers. The best part was the backyard!
And now, welcome to my second home, the Elms. It had a little different style to it, but still really pretty.

Again, the backyard is amazing, how can you not love this place!?
I couldn't take pictures inside but a few of my favorite things about these places were firstly, their "porches" to the outside of the house, and the kitchens! I was a little jealous. They were going to tear down the Elms, but the preservation society saved it. I thought that was crazy- it's full of marble etc.

After that, we went to the beach in Newport which was amazing!! I didn't know water that close to MA could be so warm! It was the warmest ocean water I've ever been in.

And lastly, Teeth.

I will spare you the details, but it wouldn't be fair to not mention it as it was a big deal a couple of weeks ago. I got my wisdom teeth out! Now, I am only a 1/4 wise than I was before. They left in one of them because it was too far up and close to an artery (tooth #1 for those that know teeth numbers). The day of surgery I felt pretty good and was thinking it was going to be a piece of cake. Then, I woke up the next day and it was a totally different story! I was swollen for a while and soar for even longer- it took me about two weeks to feel normal again. Besides the fact that my jaw gets soar a little faster now, the only remnants of the surgery is a chronic feeling that I have something (aka food) stuck in the back of my mouth. I think it's just from how my gums healed though.


3 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks Laree, I'd like to hire you to do the rest of our blogs!

Jim and Lisa said...

Newport, RI is where Jim and I went on our honeymoon and ALSO where Bryce and Lisa went on theirs (or at least part of it). It's a pretty neat place! Glad you liked it!

Lisa Michelle said...

Yes, we love Newport!! It is so gorgeous there!! And you got some great shots there - I love the one of Jamie and Tyson looking in the mirror with you over their shoulder. Very cool!